Global warming and soaring energy prices have forced many Canadian consumers to rethink how they heat their home with many turning to the latest technology through hybrid systems. A hybrid heating system, also called dual-fuel systems, is the combination of an air source heat pump (ASHP) or ground source heat pump (GSHP) with a propane or natural gas furnace. By relying on the high-efficiency propane or natural gas furnace during colder periods, the overall heating system is more energy efficient, provides greater comfort, and has a smaller carbon footprint.
Choosing the right furnace or air conditioning unit is crucial to maintaining energy efficiency in your home and keeping your energy bills low. Just in Time Furnace Inc. technicians offer the best quality and prices on heating and cooling services, making the process easy by recommending the right unit for your home and installing it quickly and efficiently. Hybrid heating systems offer a number of benefits including:
- The ability to use both a high-efficiency heat pump (which offers heating and cooling benefits) and a high-efficiency furnace to efficiently and comfortably address colder winter conditions.
- Hybrid systems also provide a redundant heating system, if the ASHP compressor experiences a problem, the home can still be heated with the high-efficiency furnace.
- Hybrid heating systems also provide a homeowner with an energy choice as energy prices fluctuate.
- Hybrid heat pump systems are more expensive than traditional systems but hybrids composed of an ASHP and a high-efficiency furnace can save money annually compared with a standard efficiency ASHP-only system and pay for themselves in three to five years.
- Hybrid heat pump system can also add value to your home at resell.
How it works begins with a combustion furnace, a relatively simple way to heat a home, and it provides reliable, comfortable heat. However, combustion heating is relatively inefficient, even with technical advances in recent years. An air-source heat pump uses the unique heat-exchange capabilities of refrigerant to move heat energy from one place to another. For efficient home heating, refrigerant flowing through a heat pump system extracts heat from the cold outside air and transfers it inside, where the resulting heated air is distributed via ducts, just as with a combustion furnace system. In a hybrid system, the air-source heat pump uses a gas furnace for auxiliary or backup heating rather than the electric heating element.
Choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system is crucial to maintaining energy efficiency in your home, keeping your energy bills low, and keeping your family, employees, or tenants comfortable and happy. At Just In Time Furnace Inc. our technicians and licensed gas fitters provide you with the same reliable services we would want for our own families. For any or all services you need for your home or business, or to explore energy efficient options like a hybrid furnace, contact Just in Time Furnace Inc. at 403-333-6666 today for expert service and great values.